The Early Year
The Dove Inn known by the name and sign of The Dove was built in the 45th year of Queen Victoria in 1872 on an adjacent site to replace a much earlier inn of the same name.
This earlier Dove was little more than a thatched cottage with a drinking parlour and serving room to the rear. It was built during the reign of King Charles 1 in 1633 and comprised then of a main tenement or messuage with outhouses, hempsland and barkside. At this point it time the property was a farm dwelling, it was owned by one Richard Coveman, a yeoman of Hernhill.
Upon completion of the present Dove, William Smith moved into the new Dove, however his stay was short lived since he died within 18 months of opening. His widow Lisa took over until June 1875 when she was succeeded by Thomas Goodwin who served until his death in 1898, whereupon his widow Margaret took over until 1903.